Dealing with all of my computer issues was getting tiring. I had excellent tech support from a number of sources, and upon the arrival of new hardware, could get on with my hobby. I decided to do some hiking on this sunny Saturday, so left town to take Interstate 80 eastbound.

Stopping in Old Auburn, I had a breakfast burrito with coffee. That cup was so good, I asked for a refill and tipped a dollar for that. Using the restroom twice, I soon was able to motor on to the Foresthill Exit. Driving east on the Foresthill Road, I saw many trailheads with cars. It is a recreation mecca, with biking and hiking.

Coming to Foresthill, I stopped at the closed USFS ranger station, and sought to do some video of the roads as I motored along. I had purchased a camera mount for my dash or windshield, but now the suction cup didn’t hold. I had it in mind to attach it to my outside roof, with a cord to secure it, but that didn’t work. I tried to figure out how to band a camera to the front side of my rear view mirror, but had no rubber bands.

Taking then the Mosquito Ridge Road, I made a stop at an overlook, and tried placing a camera on my dash, in the lower left corner as allowed by Law. I used a glove and case to hold it in place. A crude set-up, but it seemed to work. I motored along, mindful of what I was doing. I tried some video, then made some adjustments. This looked to be fine. The road made for challenging driving, with my hands on the wheel, and attention paid to the road. I have new memory cards that will shoot for almost a half hour, so I could forget about the time for the 25 mile drive to the Placer Grove. I went over the Circle Bridge, and then up the far hill. The canyon was quite the sight. The lush forest made for greenery, and then dogwoods blooming appeared.

Making a short stop to reset my camera, I soon was motoring east again, and passed my initial goal, the turnoff to Grouse Falls. Cyclists were using the road, and I passed them all carefully. Soon, I was coming to the Big Trees turnoff, and took it. Camera still rolling, I came to the trailhead.

The restroom is the only one about here, with nothing at Grouse Falls, previously known to me. I used it, a bit wet and dirty, and then took my pack to do the short hike to the three Sequoia trees. I did video as I hiked along, then came to the trees in a few minutes. I shot some more photos and video, then quickly left. I am now uneasy about being alone, with hazards like mountain lions and hostile hikers. I hiked back up the trail, having already done the longer loop.

I used the restroom again, and took off. Down the road back to the Grouse Falls turnoff, I shortly began to do more video, as many might wish to know the road conditions. It is good for a passenger vehicle, but care is required to drive it. There are fallen logs and twists and turns, with occasional rocks and debris.

Coming to the short, signed, half mile spur road to the falls trailhead, I took it left, motoring slowly, as it is rougher. Seeing no one, I came to a bad spot, and chose to park the car. I knew that I was almost there, by past memory, and walked the hundred yards or so to the signed trailhead.

Taking the trail down, I took photos, mindful of being completely alone. The trail descends about a couple hundred feet elevation, and I know it doesn’t take me much time. My recollection is good, and I came to the overlook after about ten minutes.

The falls was running, but I have seen it fuller. I started with my photos and video, making sure of having some record of the scene. I shot with two cameras, as I was wary of another memory card failure. Not spending much time, as the falls is all that there is, I started back up the trail. I had pepper spray in case of a lion attack, but I was fearful more of a loose dog, as hikers do let them run ahead.

Back to the dirt road, I shortly came back to my car, and had a soda. Motoring off, my main camera batteries had run low, and I hadn’t fully recharged them all, being that I got the idea to do long videos shots only as I did this trip. I eased up the rough spots, and came back to the main dirt road, turning right. I know some hikers are easily confused, and the leadership of the old hiking club might have some problems. I saved my efforts, and didn’t do more long video on my return. With so much that I had captured this day, I had some issues on downloads, but having software options, managed to do it.

The drive back to Foresthill was nice, concentrating on the driving. Cars came up, and I had planned this trip for an afternoon midweek, but the weather had not cooperated. Turning into the main part of town as I reached the highway, I parked and strolled over to the Forest House Lodge. A wedding was in progress, so I went to another restaurant to use the restroom, with a slightly urgent need. Ordering a drink, I looked at the menu, and had an early dinner. The NBA Finals Playoffs was to be seen on the large screen TV, so I watched for awhile to the game finish.

Motoring back to the Interstate, I got gas at the freeway, and motored on home. I had more thoughts to a change to the law to allow for cameras instead of looping videos, as the technology allows for half an hour clips. Video of bad drivers can be captured, and I see plenty of law breaking as I motor about town. With high definition, you can see the perps much clearer, and though any videos are to be taken with some doubt, I can relay the clips to whomever may have some interest. License plates can be read, and if anyone had some ability, citations might then be issued.

Hiking about two miles with 300 feet of gain and loss, I drove 168 miles round trip. Spending some $45 on food and drink, then $20 on gas, I captured 147 images and movie clips. I used about a half tank of gas, maybe 5 gallons.

The loading and file transfer took long amounts of time, once back home. I seem to have some new gastronomic issues, being that I have been dining and eating out almost continuously from my road trips. Large quantities of greens and exotic foods, then some fast food of perhaps dubious preparation may seal my fate, with several trips to the toilet today. I always was able to use a facility, though, and never polluted like many hikers, as a matter of course, for them. I carry wag bags in my car for emergencies, and don’t take heedless hikers regarding water quality.